Minister of Cantonese-Speaking Adults
942 Yale Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012
Employment Status and Hours: Exempt; Regular Full-Time
Prepared Date: February 13, 2018
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Typical Work Schedule: Tuesday – Friday; 9:00 am to 6:00 pm; Wednesday and Friday nights; frequent Saturday events and activities; most Sundays
Job Summary: Works under the direction of the Senior Pastor to minister, lead, and care for the Cantonese-speaking college adults, young adults, and adults.
Delegated Authority: Direct the ministry team, Sunday School and fellowships to develop and implement plans that are consistent with the vision and direction of the church.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide pastoral care for the Cantonese adults.
- Teach and motivate the congregation to care, pray and develop deeper faith and trust in God.
- Preach as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
- Recruit, develop, equip, and train lay workers in discipleship, prayer, Bible study and personal evangelism.
- Lead outreach and evangelistic efforts including but not limited to, fellowship meetings, visitations and evangelistic meetings.
- Work with the Pastoral Staff in development and care of the whole church.
- Be available as needs arise for prayer, personal counseling, visitation, crises, etc.
- Attend pastoral staff, deacons’, members’, and prayer meetings.
- Maintain regular working hours; be compliant with church policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties and tasks as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
As a member of the pastoral staff, this position will have daily contact with the church office staff including maintenance, administrative staff members and various elected/appointed committees, as well as frequent contact with lay workers. On many occasions, members of the pastoral staff will have contact with third parties on behalf of the church. In all instances, pastoral staff members must maintain a professional and spiritual decorum in all contacts and communications (both written and oral) with all parties.
MINIMAL QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
EDUCATION: Master's degree in Divinity or equivalent combination of education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Ministerial experience in a North American church desirable.
- Prior ministry experience a plus.
Job Posting: Minister of Cantonese-Speaking Adults
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS: Teaching, coaching, leading and occasional preaching
- Possess good people skills as a shepherd
- Handles problems and conflicts with sound discernment
- Works with individuals and groups as a team player
- Proactive in resolving issues and conflicts
- Personable, approachable, and available
- Compassionate and caring for believers and non-believers
- Encouraging and supportive
- Can share the Gospel clearly
- Can teach the Bible effectively
- Can lead effectively
- Communicates and acts with integrity
- Initiates, organizes, leads, and delegates
- Flexibility to work with different age groups and cultures within FCBCLA.
- Sensitivity to the needs of the Chinese communities.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Proficiency in written and verbal English and Cantonese a must. Ability to speak Mandarin desirable.
CERTIFICATIONS OR LICENSES: Ordination not required.
WORK CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Be able to operate computer and standard office equipment.
- Must be able to drive to visit members and visitors as needed, as well as attend various functions/events.
- Physically fit to perform duties normally expected of a pastor.
The pastor is a member of the FCBCLA pastoral staff and is supervised by the Senior Pastor or his designated pastor.
- Calling and Commitment
- Must be a born-again Christian
- A confirmed calling by God into the gospel ministry
Be a godly example:
- Humble before the Lord and His people
- Teachable and accountable
- Pursues personal holiness
- Passion for the lost in the community
Salary is commensurate with experience.
This job description is subject to change by the church as the needs of the church and requirements of the job change.